Sunday, June 10, 2012

Roasted red pepper pasta sauce

As most of you know, I love a good vegetarian dish! I am not really a big fan of meat, so whenever I come across a great meatless pasta sauce, I usually give it a try.  I had never tasted a roasted red pepper sauce, but I had heard amazing things, so I decided to give one a try.  I am soooo pleased with the results! 
The first one that caught my eye when I started looking up recipes was the red pepper pasta sauce from the Pioneer Woman Cooks website, (my idol)....but hers just seemed a bit to heavy for what I was in the mood for.  So I kept looking and couldn't really find just the right one, so I took ideas from all of them and created my own! 
I am happy to report that the taste and texture was exactly what I thought a red pepper sauce should be :-)  The only change I will make next time, is to make a LOT more!



Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Sauce

~ 1  12oz jar Roasted red peppers 
~ 1  14.5oz can diced tomatoes
~ 1  medium white onion, diced
~ 4  cloves garlic, minced
~ 1 tsp dried basil
~ 1/2 tsp salt
~ 1/2 tsp pepper
~ 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
~  2 tbsp olive oil

Drain red peppers and chop to about 1 inch pieces
Drain about 1/2 of the juice from the diced tomatoes
Saute onion in olive oil over medium heat for about 4 min
Add garlic and saute for another 2 min
Add red peppers and tomatoes(with about 1/2 of the juice),  remove from heat
Add mixture to food processor or blender and then add spices (basil, salt, pepper, and brown sugar)
Blend just until creamy with a bit of texture left
Serve over your favorite pasta
Enjoy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment