Sunday, November 20, 2011

Vegitarian Chili


This is a thicker chili with no meat. I have often thought that chili would taste much better without all the meat...and now I know that its true ;-)
Ok, ok..I know most people prefer chili with meat, but this meatless one is quite good. I basically made up the recipe using my basic meat-filled version (omitting the meat of course) and then took a few things from a handful of recipes that I liked parts of. It is starting to get cold around these parts...and chili served with my sour cream cornbread (recipe to come) makes my house smell delicious and as a bonus it tastes wonderful!
 
VEGETARIAN CHILI:
 
2 28oz cans of crushed tomatoes
1 pkg chili seasoning
1 can black beans drained and rinsed well
1 can pinto beans drained and rinsed well
4 medium carrots, chopped small
1 yellow,green, or red bell pepper, chopped small (I used 1/2 green and 1/2 red)
1 medium onion, chopped fine
3 or 4 cloves of garlic chopped fine
2 stalks (are they called stalks?) of green onions, chopped all the way to bottom. (The onion-y part)
1 tbsp of butter
Sour Cream

~Add tomatoes, chili packet, and beans to pot
~Turn heat on low and bring to a simmer
~In a separate pan, saute the carrots, bell pepper, onions, and garlic in the butter for about 5-8 min..or until the carrots are slightly soft.
~Add mixture to the first pot and simmer on low for one hour
~Garnish with sour cream and green onions
~Enjoy!
 




No comments:

Post a Comment